The current, large parcel locker space will be turned into an OmaPosti kiosk and the number of lockers will be doubled. After the expansion, the Parcel Locker will have 1,002 lockers, which makes it the largest Parcel Locker in Europe and one of the largest in the world.
The currently largest Posti Parcel Locker is located in Tampere, Finland. The world’s largest Parcel Lockers are in Finland, China and Germany.
The Parcel Locker is the most popular way of receiving items in Finland: 87% of Finns received a parcel through a Parcel Locker at least once in 2020 (the corresponding figure in other countries is 40%, on average).
While eCommerce continues to grow strongly, also the number of Posti’s Parcel Lockers will be increased. Now there are 2,150 Parcel Lockers in Finland, while the goal for the near future is 4,000. Posti’s Parcel Locker network in Finland is already one of the largest ones in the world in relation to the population.
– The Parcel Locker capacity and parcel routing are among our most important development areas this year. We constantly monitor the situation in different areas and customer feedback concerning parcel pickup and search actively for new customer-serving solutions. The expansion in Munkkivuori is a good example of this, says Arttu Hollmérus, SVP Parcel & eCommerce at Posti.
The new Parcel Locker in the Munkkivuori shopping center will open on Friday, March 12. The Parcel Locker is in a self-service area where customers can access it every day. The expansion work will start on Wednesday, March 10. A temporary pickup point will be in service in the location to minimize inconvenience for customers.
– We have received feedback especially concerning parcels redirected to Töölö. This situation should alleviate once the number of different sized lockers doubles. A terminal for taking care of the most ordinary letter-related matters will also be opened in the area on March 15. The terminal provides also a possibility to contact Posti’s customer service representative through a video chat, says Heiko Laubach, responsible for the development of Posti’s retail network.
Posti as a parcel supplier in Finland:
- Last year Posti delivered 64 million parcels
- 90% of parcels were delivered the following day
- One in five parcels in the capital region and Turku are delivered on the same day
- The record delivery volume in one day was more than 600,000 parcels in 2020
- A record-breaking 7.7 million parcels were delivered during the holiday season in 2020
- Last year, 1,5 new Parcel Lockers were opened every day
- Finland's first Parcel Lockers were introduced ten years ago
Source: Posti Group