As part of the update, Royal Mail has launched a new Augmented Reality (AR) parcel sizer. Royal Mail is the first delivery provider in the UK to enable customers to use AR technology to improve their experience. The parcel sizer is a tool available with AR supported devices to help users find the right format size and price for their item. Users can then purchase postage directly via the app, making it simpler than ever to send a parcel.
Users of the Royal Mail App will also be able to track an item using Alexa simply by saying a code name (alias) they have previously set for a mail item on the App. After setting up the code name, users need to simply say ‘Alexa Ask Royal Mail to track my item'. Alexa will say ‘tell me the reference number or alias of the item you’d like to track’. Once confirmed Alexa will give the latest status of the item.
The latest version of the App also enables users to access previous labels for postage by using the new sending history feature available from the home screen. This will show users the sending history for postage bought on the app only.
Since the launch of the Royal Mail App last year, it has been downloaded over 500,000 times. This is the first major milestone on a journey to being the go-to app for parcel shipping and tracking. In the last year, there have been several updates including:
- Send an item - buy postage on the App in just a few steps.
- Postcode and address finder – enter part of the address and the App fills in the blanks.
- Find any Post Office location or Customer Service Point/Delivery Office – to print labels or drop off items, with opening hours, address, map, available services and directions.
- Track items – enter tracking ID number or scan the barcode to check the progress of deliveries (available with Royal Mail Tracked* and Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed items).
- Receive push notifications on deliveries - never miss a delivery update.
- Book a Redelivery – if you’ve missed an item you can easily book a Redelivery to your address, your neighbour’s address or a local Post Office – and specify a delivery day.
- Save postage receipts – take a photo of receipts and store them on the App.
A spokesperson for Royal Mail said “The updated Royal Mail App is helping users to manage their deliveries more efficiently and is rapidly growing with the number of downloads increasing every month. Royal Mail is the first in the industry in the UK to launch an augmented reality feature in its App, making it simpler than ever to send a parcel. The new features of the Royal Mail App are part of our commitment to investing in technology that improves the customer experience for both senders and recipients.”
The App is available for download for free on both the App Store and Google Play store.
Source: Royal Mail Group