Transport and Energy Legislation
Transport and Energy legislation was a monitoring activity within the framework of the European Affairs Committee (EAC). Participants of the 11 October 2007 EAC plenary shared the idea of creating a working group to cover the question. At the EAC workshop on 11 March 2008 this proposal was further supported by EAC leaders and endorsed by the April EAC plenary meeting.
The new Working Group principally deals with transport policy with the objective to secure the appropriate regulatory framework enabling a more efficient and sustainable transport. EU initiatives on energy and sustainable development are considered in case they impact transport operations and in cooperation with the Environmental Working Group of PostEurop’s Corporate Social Responsibility Circle.
- Monitor and evaluate the development of the European legislation on transport having an impact on the postal sector (e.g. revision of the Eurovignette Directive and the interoperability of electronic road toll systems, urban freight transport policy).
- Assess the impact of European initiatives on energy and sustainable development affecting the transport operations of the postal sector (e.g. incentives schemes for greener vehicles, development of a harmonized carbon footprint methodology, CO2 emissions certification for HDVs).
- Formulate PostEurop’s common positions on the issues when required and establish the dialogue with respective stakeholders.
- Initiate lobbying activities towards European institutions and policy makers in the interests of PostEurop’s members.
- Join Commission’s expert groups and industry alliances on certain topics if required.
- Disseminate information to PostEurop’s members and facilitate exchange among the members on topical questions.
Updated on 4 February 2015